Friday, January 6, 2012

My So-Called Life Part Two

I know I’m sounding like the biggest teacher nerd and oh so lame, but I just spent my Friday evening cutting out laminating. That’s not the saddest part…the saddest part is that that isn’t unusual!  I’m a little bit miffed at myself though because I learned a very important lesson tonight…here’s a little fyi for you…but first I have to preface it…

So, this summer I became a blog stalker, idea junkie, and printing addict.  I swear I probably went through 4 or more (ok I don’t want to admit it but probably more ) ink cartridges for my printer and tons of white cardstock!  Office Max was my escape out of the house. 

I especially loved printing math and literacy games that I wanted to go ahead and create before the school year started.  My thoughts were if I’m going to laminate and have the stuff for awhile, it might as well be pretty, thus the high ink bill.  Back in the day it used to be file folder games that people printed off and then colored in by hand…oh I am so glad that is no more!  So,  a lot of these games I printed off, I only printed off enough for a small group of 5-6 students to complete or work on together at one time.  The games still needed though anywhere from 2 to 6 sets of the same cards/materials.  I love hands on materials and games but I am not a fan of having multiple sets of something and children mixing up all the pieces – that is such a headache! I also started out printing a bunch of go fish cards on colored cardstock, but realized once I was done that you could completely see through the cardstock if you held it up!  Two frustrations = One solution (I’m sure other people do this, but I didn’t think of it until this summer) I decided to back all of my cards/materials I was making for games with scrapbook paper!  Then,  I could also theme my scrapbook paper with the theme of the game! 

scrapbook paper

These cards don’t have a theme because they are just part of a place value unit.  Isn’t this a perfect way for kids not to get their cards mixed up if they’re in the same center?!  Even if the cards do get mixed up – it’s easy to sort them out! Yes, it’s a little bit of work to do this, but I think in the long run it will pay off.

 

Ok, so here’s the lesson I learned…if your getting tired of cutting all those cards out of the scrapbook paper  - do not decide to just glue a whole sheet of the cards onto one big piece of scrapbook paper and then laminate.  You need to cut each individual card and then laminate.  Why, do you ask? Well, what happens is as your cutting apart your cards that you laminated in a group, the laminating starts peeling away from their edges…which means the cards will have to be laminated once again and then you will have to do even more cutting out of laminating!  Urgh! My hands are tired! Why oh why did I get that bright idea to begin with!  Normally, this would have worked, but because I put two pieces of paper together, there needed to be a better seal.

Live and learn is a motto that I repeat to myself.  Smile

By the way I am super excited about some activities we just did and some others we are going to do next week!  More to come on that.

4 comments:

douglas_teach said...

I learned the same lesson with laminate when I was in Perryton. It is frustrating. Keep it up and keep moving forward!

Megan's Musings said...

I will - I just feel bad for wasting all that laminating! :)

Heather's Heart said...

I had a post about a month ago about printing and if you had to buy your own ink, cardstock, laminating film, etc. WOW! What a response and such a variety of answers! I learned I am blessed where I am because there were teachers who had to buy their own construction paper! OUCH!

I go through ink and cardstock like a Firstie and Kleenex!

BEWARE! If you come to my blog, there are TONS and TONS and TONS of *freebies*! I went through a entire ream of cardstock in a week just printing some of the things I made recently! =)

I am single too! I spend time cutting out laminating on the weekends with my fur babies: a bunny and a kitty! =)

But I guess the sad part might be that I ENJOY making things for my kiddos and cute clipart and fonts make me giddy! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

Megan's Musings said...

I thankfully don't have to buy my own laminating film (or construction paper)! I don't know what I'd do without our library assistant who does all of our laminating for us - she is awesome! I'd be even further behind then I am now (I use the activity and then laminate most times:)I've already been through 2 ink cartridges since buying my new printer after Christmas! I totally enjoy staying busy printing, cutting, and laminating too! I'm just not in the creating on my own part of it yet...still too much blog stalking! I have been totally checking out your blog and will be commenting soon on some of your great stuff!
By the way: your post made my day! Your the first non-friend to find my blog and comment! :)Love the networking of blogs!!