Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Other Things I Dressed Up For This Year…

I’m going to thoroughly embarrass myself with this post, but I’m gonna do it anyway : )… I already posted a pic of myself for Pirate day - here are some other things I dressed up for…

I found this too cute “Chunky Monkey" rap online during my blog stalking this summer, but now I don’t know where I got it.  It was all about teaching kiddos to chunk up words.  So, I decided to dress up like a rapper and “rap” (sort of – more like spoken word : )  I tried to get my team to join up with me, but they said, “Tag your it.” So, I was kind enough to do it for the whole first grade…the pic is pretty awful because I took it myself in the mirror (that’s what happens when your single)…

IMG_1237

I couldn’t stop laughing at myself  thus the funky face ; ) (plus I was playing old school rap in the background and I was just cracking myself up !)I found the monkey mask at the dollar spot at Target and bought the hat and running suit at Wal- Mart…the chains came from our art teacher.  I took part of a morning and went into each classroom with my boom box (playing MC Hammer’s Can’t Touch This) and groovin…then I chunked up some words with them and left their teacher with an activity to chunk up the words.  I’m going to have to find where I got this Chunky Monkey activity from because everybody should use this!  I swear I still have kiddos coming up to me telling me that I was Chunky Monkey and all I have to do is say, “What did Chunky Monkey teach you?” and they say, “Chunk, chunk, chunk up words.” Love it!  Don’t love this picture I’m letting everyone see, but it’s the only one I’ve got.

The other time I dressed up was for Super Hero day during Red Ribbon Week.  My team and I dressed up as Super Teachers!  One of my teammies found the free iron-on on Teachers Pay Teachers.

You can download a copy by clicking on the link:

 Super Teacher Iron-On.

.IMG_1222

This is another not so good pic of me that my roommate took at like 11:00 at night when I finished making my outfit.  I had no make-up on, so thus I chose to leave my face off SmileI decked out my outfit with a black cape from Party America (more vampire-ish than superhero but I made do), a belt, black running shorts, black leggings, and my leopard Sperry shoes – which of course is a staple for all jungle-themed super teachers).

What I am most excited about is that as I was blog stalking tonight on this blog…

Photobucket

I found out she has a Sup-ER-Heroes Unit (Adding –er and –est ) and an Action Verb Unit that is super-hero themed on Teachers Pay Teachers!  Voila!  Another time I can use my awesome Super Teacher outfit!  These units are perfect for the Super Teacher motto: Growing brains every day! (ok, not really a catchy motto, but I do tell my kids everything we do is to grow their brains Smile)

She also had someone dress up as a clown for the dipthongs: ou/ow (which I’m contemplating now) but we are also very near to The University of Oklahoma or OU and in the past I have taught my kiddos that when OU football players get tackled they say /ou/, soooo…someone could dress up as an OU football player.  Hmmmm…principal maybe?!

I’m going to improve on sneaky e next year and get someone to really dress up in a disguise or wear a mask to come in and sneakily attach themselves to cvc words and change them to cvce words.

I want more things to dress up for!  This has become a little  too fun and addictive and such a great hook to get my kiddos engaged!  I can’t wait to find out more ideas people have to dress up for!

2 comments:

Heather's Heart said...

Megan, I just met you and LOVE you! OMGOsh! You and I would get along perfectly! I have dressed up as a pirate too!

We have "visitors" that come to our room:
*The Letter Snatcher (takes letters)
*Squawkers the Parrot (we are Price's Parrots). He watches over us and leaves treats and notes throughout the year
*Mr. Gobbles: a turkey Santa rescued that lives at the North Pole and watches out from before Thanksgiving until Christmas
*Cranky Crab and Flora Flamingo: our blend friends

AND the list can go on and on!

I am a new follower and think I will be stalking you daily!

I would love for you to visit me when you get then chance!

Heather
Heather's Heart

Megan's Musings said...

OOooooh! I love those ideas! I'm so excited to check out your blog! I'm always on the hunt for new blogs to stalk! Yeah! I'm so excited!